"Seeing" things a little differently
Why do we want to hang on to things? For instance, why do we let clothes continue to hang in the closet for years before we get rid of them? Why do hoarders keep everything they have, never letting anything go?
Why do we hang on to relationships even after we know it is not serving it’s purpose any longer?
Are we afraid of change? Do we think we can make it the way it used to be?
Maybe in our past we lost something and it instilled in us that we need to keep everything or that we may lose it again.
There is a time to hang on to something and there is a time to let it go.
Eckhart Tolle believes we create and maintain problems because they give us a sense of identity. Perhaps this explains why we often hold onto our pain far beyond its ability to serve us.
What do we need to let go of ?
material items, worry, boyfriend, resentment, jealousy, pride, husband, friend, the past, your ego, fear, anxiety, or the need to please others?
it does not serve it’s purpose.
causes you anxiety
if it is keeping you from moving forward in your life.
So you have made the decision to “Let it go.” How do we do this? First, you need the confidence that you are doing the right thing. Confidence is the key to anything you pursue.
1. Know that it will be best for you.
2. Learn a new skill or find something to take your mind away from any hurt from letting go.
3. Physical activity will help you to feel better about yourself and it will help you to find a new perspective.
4. Express your anger or bitterness to a friend or the person you are “letting go.”
5. Take responsibility for hanging on to long, (you knew that item needed to go for the longest time or that friendship has been over for months) admit your part in it.
6. Remind yourself there are only three options – remove yourself from the situation, change it, or accept it.
7. Remind yourself of the root cause and know that it is a blessing in disguise.
Letting go is hard…..but essential to moving forward and creating peace and balance in our lives.
Make a decision today that you will let go of anything that is holding you back from living a successful and happy life.
What are you letting go?